One of the more relevent TED talks I found was this one. living 100+ years. SF got me hooked on watching TED talks in as much as our data limitations will allow. If you haven’t yet watched a video from them, I include for your information the Wikipedia explanation.
TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or less). TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages.
You really need to listen to the guy explain it but for purposes of brevity I will summarize. When evaluating communities which have a higher than average number of citizens who live 100+ years they (the researchers) found several commonalities.. Habits, as I understand them, if you will, for a long and happy life.
1. Incidental exercise – living a lifestyle in which exercise happens daily not by schedule but out of necessity.
2. Sense of community – Sense of belonging to the right tribe. “They have your back!”
3. Importance of family – Children and Elders are held in high esteem.
4. Plant based diet – lots of multi coloured vegetables. Less meat
5. Red wine – Keep a bottle near your dinner table
6. Eat less – Stop eating when you are 80% full
7. Time to embrace life – Schedule time to relax from chores and chaos.
8. Find your Igigai – Your reason to get up in the morning
We went to the birthday celebration of our friend and neighbour today. He and his wife raised their children here and have been living here for thirty some odd years…. perhaps longer??? not sure… I heard last month he put his climbing cleats on and went up a tree to rehang their clothesline…. When they come to coffee shop they return up the W’s stairs… W’s stairs go straight up, when I climb them I always find an excuse to stop half way and catch my breath.. He doesn’t……
He turned 90 today… Happy Birthday AB…. to many many more years of health and happiness here on the island.
You are the proof, we are living the